On Sat, 2023-08-12 at 18:07 +0200, François Patte wrote:
> This file /etc/sysconfig/nftables.conf has 755 permissions.

[tim@fluffy ~]$ ll /etc/sysconfig/nftables.conf
-rw-------. 1 root root 364 Feb  4  2022 /etc/sysconfig/nftables.conf

[tim@fluffy ~]$ ls -Z /etc/sysconfig/nftables.conf
system_u:object_r:etc_t:s0 /etc/sysconfig/nftables.conf

I'm still on FC36, on this box.

Try restoring the SELinux contexts, as Ian says.  It should set them
back to the expected ones, and things should work normally (if *that*
is the problem).

SELinux will disallow reading of some files, if it appears that the
program shouldn't be allowed to read *THOSE* particular files.  Its
error messages aren't the clearest of things to comprehend.

I wish that if something couldn't read the files, it clearly said
*why*.  Such as denied by file permissions, or denied by security
permissions, you don't own these files, etc.

--

NB:  All unexpected mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.
I will only get to see the messages that are posted to the list.

The following system info data is generated fresh for each post:

uname -rsvp
Linux 6.2.15-100.fc36.x86_64 #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Thu May 11 16:51:53
UTC 2023 x86_64