On Sun, 27 Aug 2023 10:53:48 +1000
Stephen Morris <samor...@netspace.net.au> wrote:

Caveat:  I don't have any knowledge about the tpm and grub2 interaction.

>      Can anyone suggest what I need to look at to try to determine
> why this error is occurring?

It sounds like a bug.  I think the messages are being generated because
when the system tries to mount the restarted partition, it is already
mounted because of the restart, and so you get both errors.  The
inability to mount the already mounted partition triggers the unknown
error.  How you would debug this is problematic, but it is a theory to
consider at least. Why it would suddenly start happening is another
question.  What were the updates immediately before this started
happening? Look in var/log/dnf.rpm.log.  If you find a likely culprit,
try downgrading it, or, if that doesn't work, go to koji and download
an older version and downgrade it locally.
https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/packages
dnf -C downgrade [downloaded package name]

Finally, have you actually had a successful warm restart since the
firmware update?  That is, can you really cross the firmware update off
the list of possibilities?