On 29/8/23 08:43, Stephen Morris wrote:
On 28/8/23 10:55, Samuel Sieb wrote:
On 8/26/23 17:53, Stephen Morris wrote:
Hi,
     Since the last system update I have been getting TPM errors on every entry in my grub menu when I do a warm restart from F38, and this includes the menu entry for the kernel I used to boot into F38.
     I am getting multiple occurrences of the following message:
             error: ../../grub-core/commands/efi/tpm.c:150:unknown TPM error.

     I am also getting the message:
             error: ../../grub-core/net/net.c:1552:disk 'hd2,gpt7' not found.

     The second message doesn't make sense as that is the device that contains F38 that I had booted into before doing the restart, and the device I've booted into to send this email.

Those errors do suggest an issue with the UEFI BIOS.

If you open the grub console instead of trying to boot an entry, what happens when you try to look at the drive.  Can you see it? What partitions does it show?
Having done a warm boot and gotten the tpm error, I opened the grub console and issued the ls subcommand which showed that what the system sees as hd2 on a normal boot, when the tpm error occurs "grub/system" is seeing that same drive as hd0. Hence it sees (hd0,gpt1) through (hd0,gp9) and for hd1 through hd4 it only sees gpt1, which matches the ssd drive and the four hard disks which only 1 partition each. What I don't understand is when the error occurs, why grub is seeing the physical drives in the order that I would expect them go be given the way they are physically plugged into the motherboard. And more importantly, what component update is causing this issue? The one thing I haven't tried yet is for a normal boot, booting off an older kernel to see if it gets the issue, and if not, the issue is potentially the current kernel?

regards,
Steve

To answer Stan's question from earlier, I've had lots of warm start reboots since updating the bios and adding in the keys for the nvidia drivers. Trying to identify which package may be causing the issue might be problematic, as I was on holidays for 6 weeks and did an update when I got back, which updated around 350 packages.
I'll check the grub console when I reboot my system.
One other thing I forgot to mention, there is also an entry in the menu to boot into a UEFI shell, and when I try to boot into that it also gets the tpm errors.

Just as an off-topic question, hd2 is my solid state drive containing windows drive C, the UEFI partitions for Windows, F38 and Ubuntu, and the F38 and Ubuntu /boot partitions. That drive is plugged into the first physical port on the motherboard, so why does F38 not see it as hd0? The two drives it sees as hd0 and hd1 are plugged into ports 3 - 6 (I've got 4 3 TB hard drives).

regards,
Steve