On 30/8/23 23:12, stan via users wrote:
On Wed, 30 Aug 2023 09:32:22 +1000
Stephen Morris <samor...@netspace.net.au> wrote:
The bios is set to boot off my ssd drive, which is the first drive
plugged into the motherboard, which is the device that Fedora sees as
hd2.

I did a system update yesterday, which upgraded the kernel to 6.4.12
and also updated grub, and then updated the grub menus via
grub2-mkconfig as I always do, and that has not made any difference
to the issue. I have grub configured to build sub-menus for all the
kernel entries as well as showing the latest kernel in the main menu,
so that I have all the Fedora kernels and Ubuntu kernels in
sub-menus. What I have now found is that if I open up a sub-menu,
that is when the tpm error occurs, and since the grub update it is
now producing an extra error telling me to load a kernel first (what
I don't understand is that message seems to be coming from an I386
sub-folder but my environment is 64 bit, or does that mean that
somehow or other grub has reverted to 32 bit?).
I've also mentioned in another thread, that if when I get the tpm
errors I edit the grub menu entry and change all occurrences of hd2
to hd0, even though it continues to display the tpm errors it
successfully boots into F38. It seems as though at the moment it
boots normally if I select a main menu entry to boot from, but only
if the tpm error hasn't already occurred. If the tpm error has
occurred none of the menu entries will boot, which includes the
Chainloader entry for Windows.

Having started my machine from a cold start, when the grub menu's
were displayed, I went to the grub command line and issued the LS
command to list all devices, that showed my boot device as hd0
(hd0,gpt1 - hd0,gpt9), and then when I exited from the command line,
and selected the menu entry for the latest Fedora kernel, which
specified to boot from hd2,gpt7 (this is the fedora UEFI partition),
it successfully booted into Fedora.
How is this possible when the grub command line is indicating that
grub is seeing the devices differently? What I might add to this is
that the way the grub command line is showing the devices is the way
I would expect them to be shown given the way the devices are
physically connected to the motherboard.
I understand what you are asking, and it is certainly a conundrum, but
I have no insight to offer.  Maybe open a bugzilla against grub2.  I
don't think it is the problem, but the people who maintain grub2
probably have a good understanding of this part of the boot process, and
might be able to point to the real culprit.
Thanks Stan, I'll do that.

regards,
Steve