Tim:
>> Also, I've found routers to have woefully underpowered CPUs, barely
>> managing to handle modest internet traffic.  Not to mention the
>> primitive configuration options available to you.

I didn't even mention how it was so slow that it barely manages to run
its own web interface.  Click on something, wait, wait, wait, wait,
wait.  Dial-up internet is faster...

Dave Close wrote:
> What the consumer world calls a router is barely worthy of the term.
> Why not invest a surprising small amount in a real router like the
> Ubiquiti Edgerouter X?

There's been a few times I've considered doing that kind of thing,
however some ISPs make it nearly impossible to run anything but their
own router (they have their approved list).  I'm not sure if mine does
that.  The other issue is trying to find something that actually is
better, because lots of review are complete junk.

Some while ago my ISP offered me a free upgrade router.  It was a
complete disaster.  The 5 GHz WiFi was dead in the water, the 2 GHz
WiFi failed often.  Sick of arguing with online support, I took it back
to their shopfront and had it swapped.  The newer replacement 5 GHz
worked, but it was still always disconnecting things, wanting you to
log in to continue.  They expected me to accept that I'd have to
continually reconnect to the network instead of it just working, they
wouldn't accept that I didn't accept that, nor that various devices
have no interface for you to do that with.  They couldn't accept that
my old router didn't have that problem.  Morons!

So the upgrade sits unplugged on the shelf.

--

uname -rsvp
Linux 3.10.0-1160.99.1.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed Sep 13 14:19:20 UTC 2023 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All unexpected mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.