On Wed, 2023-12-06 at 01:29 +1030, Tim via users wrote:
> On Tue, 2023-12-05 at 13:29 +0000, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > Crossed my fingers and did it. All good.
>
> Close your fingers and cross your eyes, flash the firmware for a big
> surprise...
>
> Reminds me that I ought to get a spare drive, I just used my spare
> one
> in something.  When it comes to system updates, and drive firmware is
> in the same boat, I prefer doing a drive swap.  Remove old, fit new,
> apply all the new software, add the old drive and either drag data to
> the new drive, or use it as the data drive.  I completely distrust
> install new releases over old.

I made some effort to anticipate disaster by copying my /, /boot and
/boot/efi partitions to a spare drive (and modifying its /etc/fstab
appropriately), but it didn't work. No doubt I would have needed to
update the EFI partition, but felt that was a bridge too far and I
could in a pinch recover with a Live ISO (all local modifications are
backed up anyway).

Of course if I hadn't gone through all this rigmarole then Murphy's Law
dictates that the firmware update would have wiped the SSD, so I
decided to consider it as a way to propitiate the gods.

poc