home user composed on 2024-02-25 21:17 (UTC-0700):

>> home user:

>>> That was about 11 years ago, so my memory of that is foggy and
>>> incomplete.

>>> I installed windows-7 first, probably from a CD purchased from a
>>> local (near Washington, D.C) store.

>>> Then using either a CD burned by a co-worker who was a sys. admin.
>>> (most likely), or a CD that came with a thick paperback introductory
>>> sys. admin. book, or a CD that I burned from windows, I installed
>>> Fedora.  It took a few tries.  Then one day the installation process
>>> just worked (seemingly like magic).  That's all that I recall.

>> You can run live versions from a disc.  Does the computer only have a
>> CD drive, or does it have a DVD?  CD-only would make it hard.

> I have one cd/dvd drive.  It's slow and, hmmmm, "touchy".  I still use it for
> some back-ups.  Based on what others have said in this thread, I prefer to
> not try any re-partitioning or installing.  It's too risky for me.

CD/DVD drives in desktop PCs made in this century are cheaply made commodities.
I've paid as little as $17 for a brand new DVD writer in the past decade. They
are
typically held in place by 4 or fewer phillips screws, and connected to a data
cable and a power cable. Changing one can take as little as about 3 minutes. If
the PC is old enough (not terribly likely in a PC that isn't older than 11
years)
it could have a PATA rather than an SATA interface. PATA drives have jumpers
than
need to be appropriately set in order for them to behave as expected, according
the cable type used and the position on a 2" wide 3-connector cable (most cables
have 3, none have more, some only have 2). Touchiness and lack of predictability
and reliability could be because you have an inappropriately set jumper that
takes
minimal effort to move.
--
Evolution as taught in public schools is, like religion,
        based on faith, not based on science.

Felix Miata