On Sat, Apr 20, 2024 at 6:43 PM Joe Zeff <j...@zeff.us> wrote:

> On 04/20/2024 03:16 PM, George N. White III wrote:
> > In preparation for converting my dual boot Win10+Fedora system
> > to Fedora only, I needed to expand the Win11 partition on another
> > dual boot system because some "mission critical" Adobe PDF documents
> > require Windows.
>
> In all the years I've been using Linux, I've never yet run across a .pdf
> file that Linux's default viewer couldn't read.  What is it about those
> files that requires Windows to read?

a) fillable forms that explicitly say they must be completed using Windows,
and b) dress patterns that use a very large page size and multiple layers.
Until recently, my wife used Adobe Reader on a mac to print them on
letter paper as tiles with lines marking the edges of the tiles. That no
longer
works and I haven't been able to do what she needs with linux tools.There
are scripts to print PDF posters as tiles, but I haven't found one that
duplicates
what Adobe Reader produces.   The ones I tried didn't support the edge
marks
and layer selection.  Some did not preserve the design scale with
acceptable
accuracy.  My wife often tests new patterns and finds glitches, so she
needs to
confirm that the glitches are present using Adobe software.

--
George N. White III