Once upon a time, Chris Kottaridis <chris...@quietwind.net> said:
> I want to be careful about dinking with rules. That was what I
> originally tried. What I wanted was some users to use dovecot-lda for
> delivery and others to use the standard mailer. For example I really
> want root to still go to /var/mail as well as other non-real users. So,
> I added the dovecot mailer and was dinking with rules sets to have root
> to use local mailer and other users resolve to dovecot mailer. I got
> quite entangled in the whole thing. I was close but couldn't quite get
> there. For now I am content with root ending up in /var/vmail.

Yeah, that can get tricky, and requires a fair bit of sendmail knowledge
to do right.  I have a setup where the default local mailer is dovecot,
but users can choose to get procmail (all mail is delivered to users
with system accounts); the choice is stored in a custom field in an LDAP
directory.  Since I haven't really tested and pushed sieve use yet, the
only server-side filtering is via procmail.

Of course, I've been writing sendmail rulesets for about 15 years now,
so it's second nature to me.  sendmail.cf really isn't just line noise!
:-)

--
Chris Adams <cmad...@hiwaay.net>