On 12 Dec 2011 at 19:41, Paul Allen Newell wrote:

Date sent:              Mon, 12 Dec 2011 19:41:21 -0800
From:                   Paul Allen Newell <pnew...@cs.cmu.edu>
To:                     Community support for Fedora users
<users@lists.fedoraproject.org>,
        "Newell, Paul" <pnew...@cs.cmu.edu>
Subject:                Re: fedora equivalent of recovery disk ...
additional question

> On 12/12/2011 9:11 AM, g wrote:
> > On 12/12/2011 02:27 PM, Michael D. Setzer II wrote:
> > <>
> >
> > hello michael,
> >
> > i am glad you follow this list.
> >

> >> As the current maintainer of G4L since about 2004, I'm not sure
> >> which version is included with partedmagic, but the latest release
> >> version on sourceforge has newer version of udpcast and has
> >> fsarchiver that does file level backups of many file systems. It
> >> also has lvm support..
> > -=-
> >
> > ok. so what is ability to span dvd's to allow backup/clone of an hdd
> > that is larger than 4 gb?
> >

> > thank you.
> >

> Michael:
>
> Given that you are the maintainer of this package, I want to ask
> whether G4L is, in your opinion, a good option. As my prior email
> stated, I am inclined to try the Clonezilla approach, but when I saw
> your email that you were maintaining the package that might work for
> me, I felt that was worth asking you.
>
> My current thinking is 32GB stick and using Clonezilla by itself
> (though I have asked if I could run it through partedmagic)

G4L does images of disk and/or partitions using dd in the raw
mode with compression using various options. lzop is the default
with the best combination of speed and size. It does also include
ntfsclone for file level backup of ntfs partitions, and fsarchiver that
does file level backups as well, and both also use compression.
Images can be stored on ftp server or local devices or sshfs or nfs
or cifs, but not looked at doing so to cds or dvds for various
reasons. Have used usb disks with no problem, and use the
compression tool test option to confirm that images are good.

Mostly, it is designed to run from the cd image, though it can be
added to the grub menu as a boot option to run in ram by copying
the kernel and ramdisk.lzma file to the boot directory.

(Grub option to just load G4L with default kernel 3.0.4 from G4L
0.39)

title G4L
        kernel /bz3x1.4 ramdisk_size=65536 root=/dev/ram0
telnetd=yes
        initrd /ramdisk.lzma

(An option that I use in my classroom to restore the XP partition of
machines from an image stored on /dev/sda6 that takes about 12
minutes)

title G4L Restore XP
        kernel /bz3x1.4 ramdisk_size=65536 root=/dev/ram0
telnetd=yes run="mount /dev/sda6 /mnt/local && cd /mnt/local &&
./reimagexp "
        initrd /ramdisk.lzma

It can also be transferred to a flash from the cd image, and use
syslinux to make the flash bootable. Can also run from grub4dos
boot options as well.

Just uses a text screen with dialog gui, and uses kernels built
from kernel.org source. Busybox is used for many of the support
programs, but uses Fedora programs and files for some, and
everything is build on my Fedora machines.

> Thanks in advance for your thoughts,
> Paul
>
> --

  Guam Community College  Computer Center
  mailto:mi...@kuentos.guam.net
  mailto:msetze...@gmail.com
  http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
  Guam - Where America's Day Begins
  G4L Disk Imaging Project maintainer
  http://sourceforge.net/projects/g4l/

Number of Seti Units Returned:  19,471
(Total Hours: 287,489)

BOINC@HOME CREDITS
SETI        11549002.018866   |   EINSTEIN     6989398.709851
ROSETTA      4026776.754837   |   ABC          9769346.053113