[inline]

On 1/4/2012 4:08 PM, Dave Ihnat wrote:

Just be aware if you've any directory paths with funny characters in
them--especially spaces (think Microsoft files hosted on your
filesystem)--xargs has kittens.  There are ways around that, but.

I've always tried to make sure everything is lowest common denominator between Microsoft and Linux unless there is a good reason. I learned the hard way the first time I had to port from Linux to Microsoft. I really dislike anything on my computers having kittens.

The shell is remarkably powerful--I first started shell programming while I
was slinging 'C' code at BTL on the 5ESS switch back in 1980, and I got
deeply into some of the fun stuff--pipes, multiple concurrent open files
and redirection, etc.  (It was my then-perceived need for 'cut' and 'paste'
on a Unix variant--Venix--that didn't have those useful little ditties
that led me to write them back then.)

Somehow I just never hit the need for using the shell above and beyond a quick whack to get me through something that couldn't be done with a programming language. Its one of those things that I would regret not having picked up ... except the amount of need I have for it is far less than the need for the things I did pick up.

I think part of it was a dislike for style / syntax of scripting / shells. It felt like a poorly tailored suit that you hoped your friends didn't see you wearing. My opinion finally changed once I saw how Python turned out ... but that only covers the scripting aspect, not the shell. I was brought up with programming languages and assembler/machine, they defined my taste in tailors ...

Of course, it means the occasional "dumb question" (and maybe, in some people's eyes, more than occasional).

Thanks,
Paul