You might be surprised. For some of us, the first question is "how can I
do this with the Shell?" Only if the answer is "you can't", or "it would
be too slow", do we resort to programming. The whole Unix toolkit
philosophy is based on this, or at least used to be. That's why it was
so successful in the beginning.

poc

I've heard this many times and believe it to be a good adage. I might have taken a similar approach in hindsight if my first encounter had been a world where there was a mature Shell to work with.

Thanks,
Paul