On Fri, 2012-08-10 at 08:25 -0500, Mike Flannigan wrote:
> I'm back to Windows 7 for now.  At least it works (sort of).
> It sure was painful giving MS $100.

Oh, the hell I've gone through trying to get Windows to install...

First there were PCs that couldn't boot from a CD, so you'd need to boot
from a floppy, and shoehorn the CD drivers into it for your particular
CD-ROM.  Of course you wouldn't know which drivers to use, because the
card your drive plugged into came with a disc full of numerous different
drivers, that either a program on the disc was supposed to pick the
right one (and didn't), or you were expected to figure it out by divine
intervention.

That was only the beginning.  If you were lucky, Windows would finish
the installation without crashing, but you'd have no sound, 16 colours
in 600 by 480, no network, and perhaps no working mouse.  You'd have to
gather driver discs for all of them, possibly downloading things from
the net on another PC, and go through the find the right driver
shenanigans I'd already mentioned, with the added fun of Windows messing
around at the same time.  Would I have to boot up for each device,
insert the disc when Windows asked for it, and try to get the right
driver.  Or would have to boot up, cancel the insert disc, abort the
driver installation.  Insert a disc, manually install something from the
disc, manually scan for new hardware, and hope that Windows would make
use of the driver I just installed.

Naturally, there'll be several reboots involved in this.  And the
sequence of which drivers you install first, and which particular slots
anything was plugged into the motherboard, was essential to get right.
Although they claimed to share IRQs, that was only when not actually
using the hardware.

And this is always made all the more harder by the computing hardware
being old, cobbled together from various sources, with unlabelled
plug-in cards, and missing install discs.

Insert four more paragraphs from an ipsem lorum script, to further
emphasise the annoyance factor of these types of postings to the list.

Are you still reading?

Have you realised this post is sarcastic

...  And that's why I use Linux.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686