On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 03:53:43AM -0500, Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA
wrote:

> I was hoping I could simply stop the tabs from popping up. Not
> sure what I did to cause them, that requires further
> observation. In the mean time I can work with it as it is.

Did you try what I suggested[1]?

  If you hit the Ctrl+Shift+t key combination by accident, you can
  disable it under "Edit > Preferences > Shortcuts".

Hope this helps,

PS: I find your quoting style (indenting your response by so many
    spaces) very confusing.

Footnotes:

[1] <http://mid.gmane.org/20130211235432.gb3...@kuru.dyndns-at-home.com>

--