On 20/02/2013 08:20, poma wrote:
On 02/20/13 00:52, Gordan Bobic wrote:
On 02/19/2013 10:00 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:
[…]
data without a raid are useless

My point was that even RAID is next to useless because it doesn't
protect you against bit-rot.

Stone carving is what we aim? Again!? :)

Well, the data retention rates have been tested on those to be good for thousands of years. The data density in bits per square inch per platter, however, is quite poor.

Depends on how much data you need to store and for how long, I suppose. :)

Can I take this[1] for comfort?

[1] tune2fs -l /dev/md2
…
Filesystem features:      has_journal ext_attr resize_inode dir_index
filetype needs_recovery extent flex_bg sparse_super large_file huge_file
dir_nlink extra_isize metadata_csum
Checksum:                 0x62b7798f
--

Not really. That will keep some of your metadata safe, but not your data.

Gordan