On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 6:40 PM, Joe Zeff <j...@zeff.us> wrote:

> There are other FOSS options for this, you know.  If you don't mind
> migrating from a markup language to a GUI, you might consider Scribus. I've
> had good luck with it on small projects, and I know that there are
> professionals out there using it for magazines and books.

I've been doing this a long time now, and I'm well aware of the
alternatives. Framemaker would have been my first choice, but that
ceased to exist long ago. Scribus was my first port of call in the
FOSS world, being the closest I could get to that. Maybe it's improved
recently, but when I looked at it a few years ago, it was *terrible*.
Slow, *very* buggy and not well suited to my workflow. I tried various
other options and ended up with ConTeXt, which I'm generally pretty
happy with. Except that it doesn't work on F17. At all. And yes, I do
mind migrating. For new projects, it's not so bad. But for already
published books, if I want to do a second printing, I want to correct
a few typos, run make and have a fully typeset PDF that I can send off
the the printers. I can't currently do that, and retypesetting the
whole thing in an alternative tool simply isn't a viable option.

Tet

--
"Java is a DSL for taking large XML files and converting them to stack
traces" -- Bulat Shakirzyanov