On 04/03/2013 10:33 AM, Tom Horsley wrote:
On Tue, 02 Apr 2013 09:18:47 -0400
Lester M Petrie wrote:

I like to put /opt and /usr/local on separate partitions also, as that
way they don't have to be reloaded when I do a fresh install.

I've found that "bind" mounts are your friend.

I've got a SSD system disk with room for a couple of versions
of fedora to be installed in two partitions, Then for things
I want to keep around between upgrades, I make /home a bind
mount to /reallybigdisk/home (as an example).

That way I don't have to decide how to parcel out space
on my "really big disk", I just make bind mounts to
directories on that disk.

This is probably what I would do if I was starting from scratch today. The separate partitions date to early Fedora on a different machine with multiple, much smaller disks. When I migrated to the current machine, it was easier just migrate that structure without thinking about it.

--
Lester M Petrie