James Hogarth wrote:

 > The top program may shed some light, I don't think of anything off-hand which
measures disk performance on a per-process basis.

There is actually an iotop that does this ;-)

True, although I was thinking more of something like the output of iostat, with data for each process, ie. a matrix of reads and writes to each filesystem or raw device, to show which process is doing what io on which device.

IOtop is useful for tracking total per-PID io, and in some cases that is just what you need, particularly on a typical desktop with a single drive.

--
Bill Davidsen <david...@tmr.com>