On Wed, 24 Jul 2013, Timothy Murphy wrote:

Bill Oliver wrote:

As a matter of interest, what is the point of NetworkManager-openvpn?
I'm running NetworkManager under Fedora-19/KDE on my laptop,
and I'm also running OpenVPN.
Both seem to be working fine,
so what is the point of installing NetworkManager-openvpn?

It lets me control VPN using the "Manage Connections" button on the KDE
NetworkManager widget -- whatever that's called.  Otherwise I have to
configure and run it by hand, and I'm too lazy to do that.  This way, I
just choose "Manage Connections" -> VPN -> Import and choose my config
file.

What does "control VPN" mean?
I only use openvpn to login to remote computers.
What do you use it for?
If I want to login to xyz-vpn I just say "ssh -Y xyz-vpn".
Actually I've set it up so I just click on buttons
to access the remote machines I'm interested in.

My VPN provider actually gives me three or four location options, and some
are faster than others on any given day.  Using NetworkManager allows me
to switch between them with a mouse click.

Do you really need a NetworkManager plugin to do that?

No, I don't "need" a NetworkManager plugin to do that, it just makes it easier.
  It's like a remote control for my TV.  I *could* get up and change the channel manually
every time I wanted to surf channels, but I prefer to sit on my ass and push a button.

By "control" I mean easily modify configurations and switch between different
servers with a mouse click.

billo