David wrote:
On 11/22/2013 7:05 PM, Bill Davidsen wrote:
NOTE: an early draft of this question was sent somehow, ignore it

I have has miserable luck with fedup, is there a better way, anything? I
really don't want to leave this machine down for days, and the 18->19 on
a test machine took about 36 hours to complete, and another 3-4 to redo
all the scripts from the ones on other machines which all use ethN to
meaningless interface names. In 18 I just changed a single script to use
(or not use) biosnames, and all was well, but on my test conversion to
19 that doesn't work, or the file was rewritten, and I finally used the
name which changes every time the machine gets shuffled a bit.

Is there a better way than fedup, and why is it so slow?

My experience with Fedup is that it works. As long as you don't have
some really 'strange', 3rd party, packages installed, that replace
standard Fedora packages, and do not have any 'strange' repos enabled.

Work it did, but it took about a day and a half to work, have no idea what it was doing. That's on a modest machine I know i7-950 quad, 32GB RAM, root on 128GB SSD (Intel, I think). I was hoping to have it sooner than that.

Strange repos, like rpmfusion so graphics work or adobe because people have things in flash (work things) I have to see. I do have those. Maybe that's the issue, if I didn't need to USE the system, I could do without them :-( Thanks for the warning, maybe I can disable, upgrade, then put in the needed things from single user mode.

--
Bill Davidsen <david...@tmr.com>