| From: Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallag...@gmail.com>

| > i never have and never will recommend any 'all-in-one'.

They have their place (and sometimes it is hard to find a place for
all the bits it would replace).

(I have the Brother DCP-7065dn mentioned earlier.)

Likes:

- I really like duplex printers.

- really inexpensive -- goes for Canadian $100 once in a while

- has Linux support

- includes both a flatbed scanner and an Automatic Document Feeder
  (not duplex)

- takes less space than the a printer + a scanner (but see later)

Dislikes:

- Linux support is via proprietry drivers

- toner cartridge has fairly low capacity compared with at least some
  laser printers.  That makes for more expense.

- A4 maximum size (I'd like Legal size, but legal size flatbed
  scanners are rare and expensive; we have a ~15 year old one with a
  SCSI interface)

- Linux scanning software sometimes ignores the size settings for
  scanning.  It might be the fault of the driver.

- noisy until it decides to go to sleep.

- like all all-in-ones, it takes a lot of space.

| > regardless of what brand you get, something you should consider about
| > 'all-in-one', what happens when you lose power supply? all is lost.
|
| I repair it or replace it, same as anything.

These things are so inexpensive that it isn't worth heroic efforts to
repair them.

| I'm in Europe, so A4 is the size I need.

Consider looking for an Canon LIDE scanner in boot sales.  Some but
not all models are supported in Linux.  They are little bigger than a
notebook and can be left in a cupboard until you need it.  They
connect via USB and use that for power so the cable problem is
minimized.