On Sun, 2014-03-16 at 05:03 +0000, Juan R. de Silva wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Mar 2014 13:45:31 +0000, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>
> > I'm on the lookout for a reliable all-in-one mono laser printer to use
> > under Fedora. Must be networked, preferably wireless, and both print and
> > scan functions must be supported with standard tools (CUPS etc.)
> >
> > The Samsung  Xpress M2070W looks like a good all-rounder but I'm unsure
> > about Linux support. Google seems to show a variety of opinions.
> >
> > Anyone have one of these beasties, or have an alternative to recommend?
> >
> > poc
>
> Mine is Brother MFC-7460DN. It has everything you listed, except it is
> not wireless. Works for me as a charm for last couple of years under
> different versions of Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, OpenSUSE. The unit itself
> is very well build one. Yes, you need to use Brother's drivers for it.
> But what's the problem with it, if they are always available and easy to
> install?
>
> You can easily find a unit with wireless, if it it important for you.
> I've paid for mine on sale $149 and very happy with it.

Not so easy in fact. Most manufacturers make you select 2 out of {laser,
all-in-one, wireless} at least in a reasonable price range. Looks like a
marketing opportunity to me.

If I decide to forgo wireless I might take the Brother DCP7055. My
brother (I know :-) actually has one and recommends it, though he's a
Mac user and doesn't know about Linux compatibility.

I'm keen on wireless mainly because my router has no spare ports, but of
course there are solutions to that including a USB connection (the
printer will be physically close to the workstation).

> Somebody asked, what you would do, if a power supply dies. Well for the
> money I've paid, the answer would be a simple one:"I would through it
> away and buy another one."

Agreed.

> However I do not think you should worry about
> the case. I used Cannon and HP before. Brother surpasses them in quality
> at any time.

That's good to know.

poc