On 04/04/14 06:43, Tim wrote:
On Thu, 2014-04-03 at 15:32 -0500, g wrote:
on a couple of boxes, i leave side cover off for max air flow.

In some cases, pun intended, that's actually not a good idea.as

with some cases, that is true.

With an enclosed space, it's supposedly designed to force airflow
across the whole board (yeah, we know the cards get in the way).
>  But with the side panel off, air goes the easiest route that it
> can, and some parts of the board can roast because air isn't
> forced over them.

in what i would estimate to be at least 90%, if not 99%, of fans
set up by oem, fans flow air out of the case, not into case. as
such, there is very little airflow distributed anywhere near what
could be considered properly across board and components.

kind of like oems know that airflow is not adequate and they are
hoping for heat failure so they can sell newer and more systems.

I rather like the newer cases that have a big, slow, quiet, fan,
mounted on the side panel, that blows over the whole board.

yes, mounting fan on side panel is better as it does allow for a
larger fan. as for speed, i am hoping that the new fans are
variable speed and controlled by temp sensors around memory and
vlsi chips to increase fan speed when needed.

"sensors" is a great routine that many need to learn to use.

tho i do wonder about it sometimes and now is one of them.

]$ sensors
coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Core 0:      +43.0 C  (high = +86.0 C, crit = +100.0 C)
Core 1:      +43.0 C  (high = +86.0 C, crit = +100.0 C)

smsc47b397-isa-0480
Adapter: ISA adapter
fan1:       1064 RPM
fan2:          0 RPM
fan3:          0 RPM
fan4:       1005 RPM
temp1:       +58.0 C
temp2:       +43.0 C
temp3:       +28.0 C
temp4:      -128.0 C

i do not know where/what 'temp4' is reading, but it tends to
show a rather efficient heat sink. :-D

--

peace out.

tc.hago.