On 4-26-14 09:43:41 Heinz Diehl wrote:
> On 26.04.2014, Garry T. Williams wrote:
> > That's not true.  Swap will come into play and unreferenced data
> > in the /tmp files will be paged out in favor of claiming that
> > memory for other uses.
>
> Did you actually try?
>
>  [htd@kiera ~]$ dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/bigfile bs=1M count=3000
>  dd: error writing ‘/tmp/bigfile’: No space left on device
>  2048+0 records in
>  2047+0 records out
>  2147450880 bytes (2.1 GB) copied, 0.920556 s, 2.3 GB/s
>
>  [htd@kiera ~]$ free -m
>               total       used       free     shared    buffers cached
>  Mem:          3745       1562       2183          0          0    773
>  -/+ buffers/cache:        787       2957
>  Swap:         8191          0       8191
>
> I have 4 GB of memory in my machine, and mount defaults to
> "size=50%" (= 2GB). I have been running /tmp as a tmpfs a long time,
> because the harddisk is a SSD. What happens can you see above: it
> creates a 2 GB file and aborts for the next 1 GB. The machine has 8
> GB of swap, and nothing of it was used.

When another process requires memory in excess of what is immediately
available, the unreferenced file(s) in /tmp can be paged out to
accommodate the request.  If memory pressure is absent, no paging will
occur.  There is no pressure here.

(I only wanted to correct the claim that placing files in /tmp would
encumber main memory to the detriment of other processes.  That is not
so as long as the system can page out unneeded memory.)

> Disclaimer: this is not a rant against having /tmp using tmpfs. I'm
> aware of the limitations, and have only encountered positive
> experiences so far.

This is my experience, too.

--
Garry T. Williams