Just to add my tuppence worth.....

If it's purely viruses that are the problem then, as mentioned in another post, you can't beat a little education on browsing habits, combined with a damn good AV package.

If there are other reasons for switching (e.g. that Windoze quickly gets bloated and slow), then I echo some earlier comments about Ubuntu and the KDE desktop, which is very "windows" like (just download and install Kubuntu).

The biggest advantage that I find with Ubuntu over many other distros is that is gives you the option to install 3rd party software as part of the install (i.e. Flash, mp3 plug-ins, etc.) that most people need if they use their PC recreationally. The problem seems to be that although many of these plug-ins are free, they are not GPL and so most distros won't install them or hold them in their software repositories, leaving you to hunt them down yourself. Ubuntu, on the other hand, seems to track where they can be found and will happily install them for you.

I started off with Fedora and it seemed that every day something else wouldn't work because some plug-in or other was missing. Very quickly, I just started again with Ubuntu instead and haven't looked back since.

On the downside (but not a major one for me), I find that the custom install process on Fedora is a lot more intuitive (especially if, like me, you use a separate home drive and want to retain all your data and settings when reinstalling). Fedora also gives you a lot more options as regards packages to install at set-up, whereas Ubuntu just installs a basic set of apps and leaves you to worry about the rest later. However, Fedora consequently takes many times longer.

I haven't tried any other distros but many seem to be based on Ubuntu so in my book you probably can't go wrong with any of them.

Just my opinion, based on my own experience, your mileage may vary.

Phil