On 10/30/2014 12:17 AM, jd1008 wrote:

On 10/28/2014 07:47 PM, Doug wrote:
/snip/
When you develop an automatic update routine for PCLOS, it would be good if you
would post it, preferably on the PCLinuxOS Forum, or if not, then here, and
with your permission, I will pass it on to the Forum.

--doug

It seems that pclinuxos devs have not decided to "really" automate updates
but to only pop a notifier about available updates, to let the user pick and
choose
which ones to install.
The downside of this is that the updates may or may NOT be for currently
installed packages, but may include new packages that the user does not
currently have installed on the system - somewhat like an upgrade, but
not fully automated.

This is disappointing, to say the least!!!

What I want to do is to only let the update notifier notify of updated packages
for packages already installed, and if new dependencies are needed for the
updates, then that's fine. What I will do is to create a daemon to receive
the signal of the notification, and then give Synaptic the go-ahead to install
the updates.
But, as I said, it is not clear that the notifications ONLY pertain to currently
installed packages and their dependencies.

If the daemon turns out to be a security risk (which I suspect it could be!!!),
then I may have to completely forego PCLinuxOS.

If the update works like the manual update, only installed files will be
updated.
It does not put any files on the machine that are not already there. I can't
imagine
that it would install anything that's not there already.* In the manual mode,
the
process is as follows:

Reload the Package Manager--Synaptic--Mark all Updates--Apply--get a summary of
the files--apply.

*It would surely add a new dependency, if the newer version of the file needed
it.
It would also remove anything that was no longer needed for anything, like some
lib
that was not being used by anything anymore.

Hope that makes sense.

--doug