jd1008 wrote:

On 10/28/2014 07:04 PM, Steven Rosenberg wrote:
On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 10:58 AM, Joe Zeff <j...@zeff.us> wrote:
When I learned what Gnome 3 was going to be like, I started looking for a
different DE and ended up with Xfce.  One of the minor things I like about
it is that you can configure it so that a right-click anywhere on the
desktop brings up your main menu; no need to go to the corner of the panel.
After a year working with Unity, my sister had me migrate her from Ubuntu to
Xubuntu.  If nothing else, try a LiveUSB with the Xfce spin; you may be
pleasantly surprised because it's much less of a resource hog than either
Gnome or KDE without being minimalist.

+1 for Xfce

I got introduced to it via Fedora for arm.  With ONLY 1Gb on my Cubieboard2,
it is nice that the desktop does not eat up all your memory.  Particularly
when I am only running with a SD card (I do have sata drive builds as well).

So I am more using Xfce and might even do my F21 beta on a notebook with it as
well.  Skip gnome all together on the next upgrade.

So, between xfce and lxde, which one consumes less ram?

I booted all of the FC20 Live CDs I have on hand, and I share this for your edification:

CD              RAM used MB     Idle CPU
XFCE-64         204             99.[6-8]
LXDE-32         123             99.[4-6]
MATE-32         143             99.[7-9]
MATE-64         237             99.8-100

Each was booted in KVM, I opened a singe terminal, ran "top -d10" and recorded the highest and lowest idle in one minute. Then I used free to see the RAM in use. The CPU matters to me, when Cinnamon came out I liked it, but it used about 4% of the CPU at idle, and more if anything was updating the screen. I would call all of these a tie on CPU, I'm tempted to call memory a tie, too, if it's really tight the 32bit release will make some difference.

HTH

--
Bill Davidsen <david...@tmr.com>