Perhaps you should make a github issue so it can be discussed, but to
save you some effort its very unlikely that monitoring of closed files
will be accepted, and open ones are already monitored.

Adding position to Geany's private "recent files" list might be
acceptable, but I suspect it hasn't been done because the GTK recent
files list does not accept it.

Cheers
Lex