https://developer-old.gnome.org/glib/stable/glib-regex-syntax.html

> BTW, possible bug: If I click 'Match only a whole word'  then click 'Use
> regular expressions', I can no longer unclick the former, I have to
> unclick the latter, then unclick the former, then reclick the latter.
> Not exactly a big problem but still, it seems like a bug.

"Match whole word", "Match from start of word" and "Use escape
sequences" do not apply to regexes, so those settings are made
insensitive (greyed out) when regex is set.  Insensitive UI items
cannot be changed which is why it behaves the way you observed.  It is
not a bug, its the way the toolkit works.

Cheers
Lex