On 03/12/2024 06:50 PM, Lex Trotman via Users wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Mar 2024 at 07:53, H via Users <users@lists.geany.org> wrote:
>> Running geany 1.37. I am currently using geany to write css, html and twig
>> files. I have seen many use an editor called sublime but I am sticking with
>> geany.
>>
>> One of the capabilities of sublime is being able to type eg.:
>>
>> .myclass
>>
>> and have it converted to

>> .myclass is of course only an example and I am looking for a macro that
>> would allow me to type . + some class name and have it converted analogously
>> to above. While I have extended the auto-completion capabilities by editing
>> snippets.conf, this will not work for my use case above since the class name
>> can/should be anything I choose.
> This is a very specific use-case that "somebody" can write a plugin to
> provide, perhaps as an expansion of the xml snippets plugin.  Its
> unlikely to be added to Geany itself.
>
> Cheers
> Lex
>
>> Does anyone know how to do this?

I looked very quickly at the description of XML Snippets and the functionality
seems quite similar to TAB Autocompletion.

Not sure how easy it would be to use that code and write a plugin to accomplish
the type of autocompletion I am looking for. I think I would like the following
action in my plugin:

I type '.' followed by other characters excluding a white space (this would be
the class name), then hit TAB and a code snippet would be generated that also
uses the class name just entered (excluding the '.').

Perhaps I could try my hand at if someone more experienced writing plugins
would be willing to guide me?