Thanks a million for this tip, Alexander! I am using Debian unstable, and this has prevented me from building for months.

Now I am getting stopped by another error altogether:

[Linux] /home/mainuser/Devel/genode_main/genode/depot/genodelabs/api/pc_linux/2023-01-23/src/linux/scripts/extract-cert.c:21:10: fatal error: openssl/bio.h: No such file or directory
  [Linux]     21 | #include <openssl/bio.h>
  [Linux]  compilation terminated.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

 Thanks!

  John J. Karcher