Not so: Though admittedly you have to do quite a bit of work to get the file descriptor into .NET.
   http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bdts1c9x(VS.71).aspx

To clarify - the C library was written to work with Python (not IronPython) and is not my code.

Thanks,
Tom

Curt Hagenlocher wrote:

There's no such thing as a file descriptor number in .NET -- or, for that matter, in Windows itself! :) (The latter is something of a semantic point, of course, as a HANDLE serves something of the same role in Win32 as a file descriptor number does in Unix.)

If you have a FileStream, I think you can turn it into a Windows HANDLE by saying
IntPtr handle = stream.SafeFileHandle.DangerousGetHandle();
The C library should have a way to convert a HANDLE into a "file descriptor", though I wasn't able to identify the function name with a quick google. I don't see a way to get handles for stdin, stdout or stderr, though, except that these ought to be easy to translate by hand. On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 8:03 AM, Tom Wright <tom.wri...@resolversystems.com <mailto:tom.wri...@resolversystems.com>> wrote:

    Hi,

    At the moment file.fileno() returns an arbitrary identifier of a
    python file rather than a true file descriptor. This is
    semi-blocking the Ironclad port of PIL.

    Code in PIL gets an integer using fileno() and passes it directly
    to C code where a call to write() is made. To fix this  one would
    have to patch PIL, IronPython's file objects or the write function
    provided to C code - none of these feel like a good course of action.

    When ctypes is ported to IronPython this may create similar
    problems. Ideally fileno() would return a real file descriptor.
    Would this be possible?

    Thanks,

    Tom
    Resolver Systems