Dino Viehland wrote:
Michael wrote:
Curt Hagenlocher wrote:
In principle, allowing unprivileged users to install code into a
location where it can unknowingly be accessed by privileged users is a
security problem. A "per-user" approach is the right one.
Unknowingly?

I've just installed some software.  Installing that software required that
I elevate to admin and left that software in a typically global location
on my machine (either C:\... or C:\Program Files\...) where my normal user account does not have writes to access.
What's the least surprising - that the global location is now suddenly
writable or that the global location remains writable only be administrators?

Your answer seems orthogonal to the question I asked.

As you answered my question with a question perhaps I can do the same:

A user has an installed version of Python and an installed version of IronPython. He wishes to install a library for both IronPython and Python so he runs:

   python setup.py install
   ipy.exe setup.py install

The first succeeds, naturally. Are you saying that it would be *more* surprising if the second succeeded?

Unfortunately at the moment it fails silently, but an "access denied" error would not be much more helpful.

All the best,

Michael

http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/blog