From: users-boun...@lists.ironpython.com
[mailto:users-boun...@lists.ironpython.com] On Behalf Of Hank Fay
Sent: Wednesday, May 05, 2010 8:58 PM
To: Discussion of IronPython
Subject: [IronPython] Eventhandling in the IDE: Who is the audience?

In VB, eventhandling can be done by switching to the "partial class", selecting
the object in the left dropdown at the top of the editor, and then selecting
the event in the right dropdown.  The function gets created, and of course in
VB uses Handles in order to connect the event-handler.

This is a style of working with events that is familiar with at least a hundred
thousand VFP programmers who have been stranded by MS, and are looking for a
way into .Net.  And I believe it's familiar with the million plus VB
programmers who have not made the switch to .Net (the last figure I read was
over 2 million, but that was nearly 2 years ago).

I would make the argument that this way of working is straight-forward,
involves less typing, and allows clearer thinking: the same kinds of arguments
made for Py in general and IPy in particular.  I can create a framework that
makes working with data, and the IDE, easy for users, and straight-forward in a
way that will be familiar to VFP developers -- and am doing so (open source
fwiw), hence my special interest in making the rest of the development
experience as familiar as possible.

So, this is a request.  I'll have others, but much of what I need is already in
the plan (working with VSX in Python is huge, btw, so thanks in advance for
that one).

thanks,

Hank Fay