Jeff and Sven,

Thank you for your helpful responses to my grumpy, uninformed, inquiry. I
like option 3 best, because while I currently do not require OMPI's C++
bindings, I might in the future, in which case I would probably spend ours
trying to figure out why I can't find the C++ headers.

I added -DOMPI_SKIP_MPICXX to my LAMMPS Makefile, and it dropped the compile
time by 4x, so it now compiles just as fast as the serial version.

Very nice.

Aidan