Received from Neeraj Chourasia on Mon, Sep 10, 2007 at 11:49:03PM EDT:
> On Mon, 2007-09-10 at 15:35 -0400, Lev Givon wrote:
> > When launching an MPI program with mpirun on an xgrid cluster, is
> > there a way to cause the program being run to be temporarily copied to
> > the compute nodes in the cluster when executed (i.e., similar to what the
> > xgrid command line tool does)? Or is it necessary to make the program
> > being run available on every compute node (e.g., using NFS data
> > partions)?
> >
> >                                             L.G.
> >
> If you are using scheduler like PBS or SGE over MPI, there is an option
> called prolog and epilog, where you can give scripts which does copy
> operation. This script is called before and after job execution as the
> name suggests.
>
>       Without it, in mpi itself, i have to see, if it can be done.
>
> The alternative way is to keep copy of the program at the same location
> on all compute nodes and launch mpirun.

Of course, but one of the advantages of XGrid is that one can submit
an executable or script for execution on the compute nodes even if it
wasn't installed on those machines. Moreover, it also isn't necessary
to have multiple user accounts on the compute nodes in an XGrid
cluster because the job scheduler runs as the nobody user. Since
OpenMPI makes use of the XGrid scheduler, I was curious whether its
mpirun command could also somehow submit the program being run to the
compute nodes (a bit of experimenting seems to suggests that it is not
possible).

> If the executable location is different on compute nodes, you have to
> specify the same as the mpirun command-line arguments.

                                                L.G.