Am 17.09.2007 um 16:34 schrieb Brian Barrett:

On Sep 10, 2007, at 1:35 PM, Lev Givon wrote:

When launching an MPI program with mpirun on an xgrid cluster, is
there a way to cause the program being run to be temporarily copied to
the compute nodes in the cluster when executed (i.e., similar to
what the
xgrid command line tool does)? Or is it necessary to make the program
being run available on every compute node (e.g., using NFS data
partions)?

This is functionality we never added to our XGrid support.  It
certainly could be added, but we have an extremely limited supply of
developer cycles for the XGrid support at the moment.

I think this should be implemented for all platforms, if it would have to be part of OpenMPI at all (the parallel library Linda is offering such a feature). Otherwise the option would be to submit the job using XGrid, or any another queuingsystem, where you can setup such file tranfers in any prolog script (and epilog to remove the programs again) - or copy it to the created $TMPDIR which I would suggest if you decide to use e.g. SUN GridEngine, as this will be ereased after the job automatically.

But just for curiosity: how is XGrid handling it, as you refer to command-line-tool? If you have a jobscript with three mpirun-commands for three different programs, XGrid will transfer all three programs to the nodes for this job, or is it limited to be just one mpirun is just one XGrid job?

-- Reuti

Brian

--
   Brian W. Barrett