Jeff,

Count us in at the UofA. My initial impressions of Open MPI are very good and I would be open to contributing to this effort as time allows.

Thanks!

Jeff F. Pummill
Senior Linux Cluster Administrator
University of Arkansas
Fayetteville, Arkansas 72701
(479) 575 - 4590
http://hpc.uark.edu

"A supercomputer is a device for turning compute-bound
problems into I/O-bound problems." -Seymour Cray

Jeff Squyres wrote:
So there are at least a few people who are interested in this effort (keep chiming in if you are interested so that we can get a tally of who would like to be involved).

What kind of resources / organization would be useful for this group? Indiana University graciously hosts all of Open MPI's electronic resources (Subversion, web site, bug tracking, DNS, mailing lists, ...) and I certainly can't speak for them, but if we ask nicely, I'd be willing to bet that they would add some hosting services for a documentation project (if such additional resources would be helpful, of course).

I would also be happy to host a teleconference if talking about all this start/admin stuff for an hour would save 1-2 weeks worth of detailed e-mails.

-----

The only current documentation we have is:

- the web FAQ
- the README in the tarball

What is conspicuously missing is a nice PDF and/or HTML tarball with comprehensive documentation. But I think that FAQ/README also fit into the general category of documentation, so it might make sense to put all 3 of these items under the control of one group. The obvious rationale here is that all three could stay in tighter sync if there's one group monitoring all 3.

One point worth mentioning: Open MPI is all about community consensus, but "s/he who implements usually wins". :-) So if we get an active group working on documentation, the FAQ could be totally re- done if the group so decides (for example).

All this being said, the OMPI developers *have* talked about documentation a bit over time. Here's some of the points from prior discussions, in no particular order:

- It highly desirable to have documentation that can be output in multiple different forms (PDF, HTML, ...whatever). If possible, the docs should be shipped in distribution tarballs and hosted on the OMPI web site.

- LAM/MPI had two great docs: one for installation LAM/MPI and one for using LAM/MPI. These might be good example documents for what Open MPI might want to do (see http://www.lam-mpi.org/using/docs/), regardless of the back-end technology used to generate the docs. Source LaTeX for these guides are available if it would be helpful (I wrote most of them).

- It would be most helpful if the documentation is written in a tool that has free editors, preferably cross-platform and available in multiple POSIX-like environments (Solaris, Linux, OS X). MS Office was explicitly rejected because of its requirement for Windows/OS X (other Office clones were not really discussed). LaTeX was discussed but wasn't favored due to the steep learning curve and general lack of experience with it outside of academia.

- First documentation should be aimed towards users. Developer documentation might follow.

- Once upon a time, we developers started to use doxygen for documentation, but it has proven to be lousy for book-like entities (IONSHO). Doxygen is decent for code documentation, but not documents.

- A few recent discussions about documentation came to the conclusion that Docbook (www.docbook.org) looked promising, but we didn't get deep into details / investigating the feasibility. One obvious Big Project using Docbook is Subversion (see http://svnbook.red- bean.com/). Docbook-produced HTML and PDF seem to look both pretty and functional.

- It would also be nice if sub-distributions of Open MPI could take the documentation and -- in some defined automated fashion -- be able to do the following: - insert their own "chapters" or "sections" that are specific to that sub-distribution (e.g., Sun ClusterTools have some Solaris- specific stuff, OFED have some OpenFabrics-specific stuff, etc.) - remove/"turn off" specific sections of documentation (e.g., OFED would likely not include any documentation about Myricom networks [and vice versa]) This would go a long ways towards being able to keep the community documentation in sync with docs included in targeted/vendor OMPI releases.

- The OMPI web site is almost entirely written in PHP and is mirrored around the world. It would be *strongly* preferred if the web-site hosting of the docs is fully mirror-able (because assumedly docs are one of the things that users would want to browse the most). Hence, requiring a new kind of server other than HTML/PHP would require very, very strong rationale. :-)

- The technology of choice for displaying on the web site is PHP. But that still leaves open a wide variety of choices for serving docs via the web site, including (but not limited to): - just posting PDFs (although having HTML-based docs would certainly be nice)
     - a PHP-based package or home-grown PHP
- generating HTML offline (via cron or whatever) and putting the results in the web site
     - ...etc.