Hi,

I've been working on MPI piggyback technique as a part of my PhD work.

Although MPI does not provide a native support, there are several different
solutions to transmit piggyback data over every MPI communication. You may
find a brief overview in papers [1, 2]. This includes copying the original
message and the extra data to a bigger buffer, sending additional message or
changing the sendtype to a dynamically created wrapper datatype that
contains a pointer to the original data and the piggyback data. I have tried
all mechanisms and they work, but considering the overhead, there is no "the
best" technique that outperforms the others in all scenarios. Jeff Squyres
had interesting comments on this subject before (in this mailing list).

Finally after some benchmarking, I have implemented *a *hybrid technique
that combines existing mechanisms. For small, point-to-point messages
datatype wrapping seems to be the less intrusive, at least considering
OpenMPI implementation of derived datatypes. For large, point-to-point
messages, experiments confirmed that sending an additional message is much
cheaper than wrapping (and besides the intrusion is small as we are already
sending a large message). Moreover, the implementation may interleave the
original send with an asynchronous send of piggyback data. This optimization
partially hides the latency of additional send and lowers overall intrusion.
The  same criteria can be applied for collective operations, except barrier
and reduce operations. As the former does not transmit any data and the
latter transforms the data, the only solution is to send additional
messages.

There is a penalty of course. Especially for collective operations with very
small messages the intrusion may reach 15% and that's a lot. It than
decreases down to 0.1% for bigger messages, but anyway it's still there. I
don't know what are your requirements/expectations for that issue. The only
work that reported lower overheads is [3] but they added native piggyback
support by changing underlying MPI implementation.

I think the best possible option is to add piggyback support for MPI as a
part of the standard. A growing number of runtime tools use this
functionality for multiple reasons and certainly PMPI itself is not enough.
References of interest:

   -

   [1] Shende, S., Malony, A., Morris, A., Wolf, F. "Performance
   Profiling Overhead Compensation for MPI Programs". 12th EuroPVM-MPI
   Conference, LNCS, vol. 3666, pp. 359-367, 2005.  They review various
   techniques and  come up with datatype wrapping.

   -

   [2] Schulz, M., "Extracting Critical Path Graphs from MPI
   Applications". Cluster Computing 2005, IEEE International, pp. 1-10,
   September 2005. They use datatype wrapping.
   - [3] Jeffrey Vetter, "Dynamic Statistical Profiling of Communication
   Activity in Distributed Applications". They add support for piggyback at MPI
   implementation level and report very low overheads (no surprise).

Regards,
Oleg Morajko