Do you really mean that Open-MPI uses busy loop in order to handle incomming calls? It seems to be incorrect since spinning is a very bad and inefficient technique for this purpose. Why don't you use blocking and/or signals instead of that? I think the priority of this task is very high because polling just wastes resources of the system. On the other hand,
what Alberto claims is not reasonable to me.

Alberto,
- Are you oversubscribing one node which means that you are running your code on a single processor machine, pretending
to have four CPUs?

- Did you compile Open-MPI or installed from RPM?

Receiving process shouldn't be that expensive.

Regards,

Danesh

Jeff Squyres skrev:
Because on-node communication typically uses shared memory, so we currently have to poll. Additionally, when using mixed on/off-node communication, we have to alternate between polling shared memory and polling the network.

Additionally, we actively poll because it's the best way to lower latency. MPI implementations are almost always first judged on their latency, not [usually] their CPU utilization. Going to sleep in a blocking system call will definitely negatively impact latency.

We have plans for implementing the "spin for a while and then block" technique (as has been used in other MPI's and middleware layers), but it hasn't been a high priority.