I can think of several advantages that using blocking or signals to
reduce the cpu load would have:

- Reduced energy consumption
- Running additional background programs could be done far more efficiently
- It would be much simpler to examine the load balance.

It may depend on the type of program and the computational environment,
but there are certainly many cases in which putting the system in idle
mode would be advantageous. This is especially true for programs with
low network traffic and/or high load imbalances.

The "spin for a while and then block" method that you mentioned earlier
seems to be a good compromise. Just do polling for some time that is
long compared to the corresponding system call, and then go to sleep if
nothing happens. In this way, the latency would be only marginally
increased, while less cpu time is wasted in the polling loops, and I
would be much happier.