Gilbert,

      I did not know the MCA parameters that can monitor the message
passing.  I have tried a few MCA verbose parameters and did not identify
anyone helpful.

     One way to check if the message goes via IB or SM maybe  to check the
counters in /sys/class/infiniband.

Regards,
Mi

             Gilbert
             Grosdidier
             <gro...@mail.cern                                          To
             .ch>                      Open MPI Users <us...@open-mpi.org>
             users-bounces@ope
             n-mpi.org                                             Subject
                                       Re: [OMPI users] Working with a
                                       CellBlade cluster
             10/29/2008 12:36
             PM

             Please respond to
              Open MPI Users
             <users@open-mpi.o
                    rg>

Thank you very much Mi and Lenny for your detailed replies.

 I believe I can summarize the infos to allow for
'Working with a QS22 CellBlade cluster' like this:
- Yes, messages are efficiently handled with "-mca btl openib,sm,self"
- Better to go to the OMPI-1.3 version ASAP
- It is currently more efficient/easy to use numactl to control
processor affinity on a QS22.

 So far so good.

 One question remains: how could I monitor in details message passing
thru IB (on one side) and thru SM (on the other side) thru the use of mca
parameters, please ? Additionnal info about the verbosity level
of this monitoring will be highly appreciated ... A lengthy travel
inside the list of such parameters provided by ompi_info did not
enlighten me (there are so many xxx_sm_yyy type params that I don't know
which
could be the right one ;-)

 Thanks in advance for your hints,      Best Regards,     Gilbert.

On Thu, 23 Oct 2008, Mi Yan wrote:

> 1.  MCA BTL parameters
> With "-mca btl openib,self", both message between two Cell processors on
> one QS22 and   messages between two QS22s go through IB.
>
> With "-mca btl openib,sm,slef",  message on one QS22 go through shared
> memory,  message between QS22 go through IB,
>
> Depending on the message size and other MCA parameters,  it does not
> guarantee message passing on shared memory is faster than on IB.   E.g.
> the bandwidth for 64KB message is 959MB/s on shared-memory and is 694MB/s
> on IB;  the bandwidth for 4MB message is 539 MB/s and 1092 MB/s on  IB.
> The bandwidth of 4MB message on shared memory may be higher if you tune
> some MCA parameter.
>
> 2.  mpi_paffinity_alone
>   "mpi_paffinity_alone =1"  is not a good choice for QS22.  There are two
> sockets with two physical  Cell/B.E. on one QS22.  Each Cell/B.E. has two
> SMT threads.   So there are four logical CPUs on one QS22.  CBE Linux
> kernel maps logical cpu 0 and 1 to socket1 and maps logical cpu 1 and 2
> socket 2.    If mpi_paffinity_alone is set to 1,   the two MPI instances
> will be assigned to logical cpu 0 and cpu 1 on socket 1.  I believe this
is
> not what you want.
>
>     A temporaily solution to  force the affinity on  QS22 is to use
> "numactl",   E.g.  assuming the hostname is "qs22" and the executable is
> "foo".  the following command can be used
>                 mpirun -np 1 -H qs22 numactl -c0 -m0  foo :   -np 1 -H
qs22
> numactl -c1 -m1 foo
>
>    In the long run,  I wish CBE kernel export  CPU topology  in /sys  and
> use  PLPA to force the processor affinity.
>
> Best Regards,
> Mi
>

>              "Lenny
>              Verkhovsky"