It is worth clarifying a point in this discussion that I neglected to mention in my initial post: although Open MPI may not work *by default* with heterogeneous HCAs/RNICs, it is quite possible/likely that if you manually configure Open MPI to use the same verbs/hardware settings across all your HCAs/RNICs (assuming that you use a set of values that is compatible with all your hardware) that MPI jobs spanning multiple different kinds of HCAs or RNICs will work fine.

See this post on the devel list for a few more details:

    http://www.open-mpi.org/community/lists/devel/2009/01/5314.php