You may be able to use an Intel series 11 Fortran compiler with gcc to compile Open MPI, but it depends on exactly what that series 11 Fortran compiler supports. If they support mixing object files from multiple compilers like this, then hypothetically OMPI can be compiled this way (ifort v11 + gcc).

Specifically, our discussion in the FAQ suggests that the simplest way is to stick with a single compiler vendor/version. That is almost always the simplest way to compile and use most any software. However, blended models are possible -- but as I mentioned above, it's really more of a question for what the compiler itself supports.