Many thanks.  The firewall is the issue.

On Feb 9, 2009, at 5:56 AM, Ralph Castain wrote:
It sounds to me like TCP communication isn't getting through for some reason. Try the following:

mpirun --mca plm_base_verbose 5 --hostfile myh3 -pernode hostname
black@ccn3:~/Documents/mp> mpirun --mca plm_base_verbose 5 --hostfile myh3 -pernode hostname
[ccn3:26932] mca:base:select:(  plm) Querying component [rsh]
[ccn3:26932] mca:base:select:( plm) Query of component [rsh] set priority to 10
[ccn3:26932] mca:base:select:(  plm) Querying component [slurm]
[ccn3:26932] mca:base:select:( plm) Skipping component [slurm]. Query failed to return a module
[ccn3:26932] mca:base:select:(  plm) Selected component [rsh]
-----hangs here

But, when I turn off the firewall for a moment on both machines, local and remote, everything works: black@ccn3:~/Documents/mp> mpirun --mca plm_base_verbose 5 --hostfile myh3 -pernode hostname
[ccn3:26442] mca:base:select:(  plm) Querying component [rsh]
[ccn3:26442] mca:base:select:( plm) Query of component [rsh] set priority to 10
[ccn3:26442] mca:base:select:(  plm) Querying component [slurm]
[ccn3:26442] mca:base:select:( plm) Skipping component [slurm]. Query failed to return a module
[ccn3:26442] mca:base:select:(  plm) Selected component [rsh]
ccn3
ccn4

2 Questions:
1) Is it really trying to use 'rsh', or is that just part of the language in the debugging reporting? I assume it is actually using ssh under the hood, but it is worth asking. I am using the default configuration on this.
black@ccn3:~/Documents/mp> ompi_info --param all all | grep pls
MCA plm: parameter "plm_rsh_agent" (current value: "ssh : rsh", data source: default value, synonyms: pls_rsh_agent) 2) Since it is a firewall issue, I read what I could find and it seems there is not a means of restricting port ranges. Right now, each node in this small cluster is running its own firewall rather than all being hidden behind some other machine or switch. Any pointers for handling this most easily.

Cheers, Kersey

You should see output from the receipt of a daemon callback for each daemon, the the sending of the launch command. My guess is that you won't see all the daemons callback, which is why you hang.

This should tell you which node isn't getting a message back to wherever mpirun is executing. You might then check to ensure no firewalls are in the way to that node, there is a TCP path back from it, etc.

I can help with additional diagnostics once we get that far.
Ralph