On Feb 12, 2009, at 1:23 PM, Reuben D. Budiardja wrote:

From memory and reading the above links (i.e. untested advice):
1) Use OpenMPI 1.3 where the default is not to include this.

I tried it with OpenMPI 1.3, I didn't give any configure option
except --prefix, and Valgrind still does not work as expected.

Open MPI v1.3 does not include a memory manager by default, so it's possible that something else is going on here to interfere with Valgrind's behavior. Or it could be that Valgrind simply won't catch this error.

2) Configure Open MPI 1.2.8 with the --disable-memory-manager option

Tried this, no luck either. The option doesn't seem to be doing anything, and
it's not even listed as option with "./configure --help".

Try --without-memory-manager (not --disable).

3) Compile you application without the -lopen-pal otion.  In practice
this means running "mpicc --show" and cut-and pasting the underlying
compile line without the -lopen-pal into your application build
procedure. I was able to do this for hello world but I can image it'll
be a real PITA for anything larger.

Yes, I tried this before, and for a very small test program this seems to
work. But as you said, this would a real pain to do..

This won't work in practice; OMPI *needs* the open-pal library, and for shared library builds, it will pull it in by default anyway.

Cisco Systems