On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 09:57:02PM +0200, Bogdan Costescu wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Mar 2009, Jeff Squyres wrote:
>
> >UNAME_REL=`(/bin/uname -X|grep Release|sed -e 's/.*= //')`
>
> Not sure what you want to achieve here... 'uname -X' is valid on
> Solaris, but not on Linux. The OP has indicated already that he is
> running this on Linux (SLES) so the above line is supposed to fail.

Indeed

But it would be very interesting to know why I and it turns out nobody
else needs to supply a machine name as an argument

This is key because if I don't supply one I get an unexpected token `('
error

If I do supply one I get another unexpected token `(' later in the
configure process

If we can track down the source of the unexpected token `(' error....

k.mcma...@gre.ac.uk - http://staffweb.cms.gre.ac.uk/~k.mcmanus
Dr Kevin McManus                                Queen Mary 413
School of Computing & Mathematical Sciences,
University of Greenwich,
Old Royal Naval College,
Park Row, Greenwich,                   Tel +44 (0)208 331 8719
London, SE10 9LS                       Fax +44 (0)208 331 8665

University of Greenwich, a charity and company limited by
guarantee, registered in England (reg no. 986729)
Registered Office: Old Royal Naval College