These kinds of messages are symptomatic that you compiled your applications with one version of Open MPI and ran with another. You might want to ensure that your examples are compiled against the same version of Open MPI that you're running with.

hello_cxx: Symbol `_ZN3MPI10COMM_WORLDE' has different size in shared object, co nsider re-linking hello_cxx: Symbol `_ZN3MPI10COMM_WORLDE' has different size in shared object, co nsider re-linking
Hello, world!  I am 0 of 1
libibverbs: Fatal: couldn't read uverbs ABI version.
[0,0,0]: OpenIB on host localhost.localdomain was unable to find any HCAs.
Another transport will be used instead, although this may result in
lower performance.
libibverbs: Fatal: couldn't read uverbs ABI version.
[0,0,0]: OpenIB on host localhost.localdomain was unable to find any HCAs.
Another transport will be used instead, although this may result in
lower performance.
Hello, world!  I am 0 of 1

ring_cxx example
[hpc@localhost examples]$ mpirun -n 2 ring_cxx
ring_cxx: Symbol `_ZN3MPI10COMM_WORLDE' has different size in shared object, consider re-linking ring_cxx: Symbol `_ZN3MPI10COMM_WORLDE' has different size in shared object, consider re-linking
libibverbs: Fatal: couldn't read uverbs ABI version.
libibverbs: Fatal: couldn't read uverbs ABI version.
[0,0,0]: OpenIB on host localhost.localdomain was unable to find any HCAs.
Another transport will be used instead, although this may result in
lower performance.
[0,0,0]: OpenIB on host localhost.localdomain was unable to find any HCAs.
Another transport will be used instead, although this may result in
lower performance.
Process 0 sending 10 to 0, tag 201 (1 processes in ring)
Process 0 sending 10 to 0, tag 201 (1 processes in ring)
Process 0 sent to 0
Process 0 sent to 0
Process 0 decremented value: 9
Process 0 decremented value: 8
Process 0 decremented value: 7
Process 0 decremented value: 6
Process 0 decremented value: 5
Process 0 decremented value: 4
Process 0 decremented value: 3
Process 0 decremented value: 2
Process 0 decremented value: 1
Process 0 decremented value: 0
Process 0 exiting
Process 0 decremented value: 9
Process 0 decremented value: 8
Process 0 decremented value: 7
Process 0 decremented value: 6
Process 0 decremented value: 5
Process 0 decremented value: 4
Process 0 decremented value: 3
Process 0 decremented value: 2
Process 0 decremented value: 1
Process 0 decremented value: 0
Process 0 exiting

which is weird, I'm not sure what's wrong, but one thing that I realized is that the documentation for running openmpi is outdated? here's my $PATH and $LD_LIBRARY_PATH

[hpc@localhost ~]$ cat .bash_profile
# .bash_profile

# Get the aliases and functions
if [ -f ~/.bashrc ]; then
        . ~/.bashrc
fi

# User specific environment and startup programs

PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin:/usr/lib/openmpi/1.2.5-gcc/bin
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/usr/lib/openmpi/1.2.5-gcc/lib

export PATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
unset USERNAME

It's different that what the documentation had, because there's I couldn't find the files in the /opt/openmpi
I hope that anyone could help?

Thanks a lot!

-- Grady