1) I was told to add "-mca mpi_leave_pinned 0" to avoid problems with Infinband. This was with OpenMPI 1.3.1. Not
Actually for 1.2.X version I will recommend you to enable leave pinned "-mca mpi_leave_pinned 1"
sure if the problems were fixed on 1.3.2, but I am hanging on to that setting just in case.
We had data corruption issue in 1.3.1 but it was resolved in 1.3.2. In 1.3.2 version leave_pinned is enabled by default.

If I remember correct mvapich enables affinity mode by default, so I can recommend you to try to enable it too: "--mca mpi_paffinity_alone 1". For more details please check FAQ - http://www.open-mpi.org/faq/?category=tuning#using-paffinity

Thanks,
Pasha.