On Jul 23, 2009, at 6:39 AM, Dave Love wrote:

> The MPI ABI has not changed since 1.3.2.

Good, thanks. I hadn't had time to investigate the items in the release
notes that looked suspicious.  Are there actually any known ABI
incompatibilities between 1.3.0 and 1.3.2?  We haven't noticed any as
far as I know.

It *might* work? To be honest, I would be surprised, though -- it may fail in subtle, non-obvious ways (i.e., during execution, not startup/ linking). We made some changes in 1.3.2 in order to freeze the ABI for the future that *probably* have disruptive effects in seamlessly working with prior versions (there were some strange technical issues involving OMPI's use of pointers for MPI handles -- I can explain more if you care).

FWIW: the changes we made were in the back-end/internals of libmpi; source-code compatibility has been maintained since MPI-1.0 (aside from a handful of bugs in the MPI API that we have fixed over time -- e.g., a wrong parameter type in an MPI API function, etc.).